August 17, 2011

How to Shorten Long Posts

Have you seen blogs that cut off their posts on their main page and then have a link that says, "Read More"? I have one on my post about How to Make Your Own Blog Button. (If you click on this link it will bring you to the entire post but if you look at this post from the main page it will be shortened. It has a paragraph and then says, "Tutorial Here".)

I know it is irritating when you are browsing through someone's blog (including mine) and it takes forever to get down the main page because their posts are so long. I finally figured out how to shorten mine and will be doing so for all my long tutorials from now on. Do you want to know how?

I would write out a whole tutorial for you but Blogger already did, so here is the link and then I'll give you a few tips:


A few things I found:
  • I tried to add 'Jump Breaks' in my old posts and it didn't work. 
  • I found that I have to stick the line break in before typing any other text after. For example, if I were to stick my cursor after my first paragraph (after everything was already typed) it wouldn't put the break in when I publish my post. I would have to delete everything that comes after the jump, enter the jump, and then type it all in again.
Have you guys tried this already? What tips or questions do you have?


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog template/layout! Thanks for answering my question on how to create the "see more" 'break.

    http://christycee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I would love to answer everyone's questions, but I am a busy mama. I will try my best, but technical questions that require me to study your blog's html are very time consuming for me. I may not be able to answer all of these comments. If you are a reader that knows the answer to a question, please help your fellow readers by offering your advice.