April 1, 2011

Changing or Removing Your Blogger Navbar

Have you noticed that the default setting for the Blogger Navbar is that dark blue that doesn't really match most blog backgrounds, like the one below (Click to enlarge).


Did you know that you can change the color of it?

Here's how:

1. Click on Design from your Dashboard (or from your Blogger Navbar).
2. On the Page Elements page, click Edit on the bar that says "Navbar". (See below, click to enlarge.)


3. Choose the color you like best and click Save. Then View Blog.

 You can see from the picture above that I chose the transparent light navbar. That way it always matches my blog no matter how many times I change my background. Also, I like that the transparent bar does not stand out as much as the others.

Here's my nav bar (Click to enlarge):

Did you know that you can completely remove your Blogger Navbar? Why would you want to do this? If you have a blog for your business, removing the navbar makes your blog look more like a professional website. However, you might want to keep it if you do a lot of editing on your blog. I keep mine for that reason. Also, by keeping my Navbar, you can move more easily from my blog to yours with the navbar by clicking Dashboard. (Of course you can also keep more than one browser window open too.)

There are a lot of instructions on the web on how to remove your Blogger Navbar. Here's what I found to be the most common:

How to remove your navbar:
1. Backup your template. (You should always do this when you edit the html of your blog.)
2. Click Design, and then Edit HTML. (At the top is where you can backup your template.)
3. Copy the red code below:
#navbar-iframe {display:none !important;  }

4. Paste the code after the Template name and credits as shown below. (If you are using the Minima template, place it just before the code   /*  Variable definitions as shown below.) (Click to enlarge):
5. Click Preview. If everything looks ok, then click Save Template. Then click View Blog and you are done!



1 comment:

  1. please i need help with custom purple navbars.im so not good at this whole techie thing but ive been trying this and its so hard

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I would love to answer everyone's questions, but I am a busy mama. I will try my best, but technical questions that require me to study your blog's html are very time consuming for me. I may not be able to answer all of these comments. If you are a reader that knows the answer to a question, please help your fellow readers by offering your advice.