January 29, 2011

3 Column Code for 2 Column Templates

I have noticed recently that a lot of people have been using the Blogger Templates in their new "Template Designer". This is great for you guys because it is easier to adjust the width of your blog yourself. However, several blogs that I have visited recently all have the same problem. Their blogs have 2 columns but they have stretched it out so that those 2 columns are fairly wide. The problem with this is that they are still using the 2 column code that was made for skinnier columns.

So, if this is your case, please use the 3 column code. It doesn't really matter how many columns you have, the 2 column code is for skinny columns and the 3 column code is for wide columns. Using the 3 column code will not mess up your columns in any way.

To be more specific, the 2 column code is made for the entire blog (the post column and sidebar(s)) to have a width of 660 px. The 3 column code is made for the entire blog (the post column and sidebar(s)) to have a width of 900 px.

So if you have a blog that is more than 660 px, please us the 3 column code. Here is where you can look to see how wide your blog is:

Go to Design, then Template Designer, then Adjust Widths, and look here (click on the image to see closer):


This blog has a width of 850 px and should use the 3 column code even though it only has 2 columns.

(If you are using the Minima Template, you won't be able to see the screen above.)

Hope this helps!

2 comments:

  1. Were you talking to ME?! I did it and changed it to the 3 column and it looks amazing!!! Thank you so much. I am about to change to one of those cute heart backgrounds for LOVE day! Thanks Dani!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I would love to answer everyone's questions, but I am a busy mama. I will try my best, but technical questions that require me to study your blog's html are very time consuming for me. I may not be able to answer all of these comments. If you are a reader that knows the answer to a question, please help your fellow readers by offering your advice.